Saturday, October 27, 2012

Day 49: Stop for Pedestrians


I am sorry, but I just have to say it - I hate this cross walk. I have come to a screeching halt on more than one occasion as pedestrians or bikers charge across these blessed striped lines with total confidence that motor vehicles will 1.notice them 2. come to a complete stop before turning them into a pancake. You see, pedestrians have the right of way in Portland. Always. No matter if they practically jump in front of your car. No matter IF there is a crosswalk. I am not used to this yet and have had a couple of close calls. (But I am getting better....)

This cross walk is by far my most loathed traffic intersection.  It is in a stretch of a main road on a hill where there is a lot going on and cars are generally moving fairly quickly.  Because there are often pedestrians walking the sidewalks/parks on the side of the road, I have a really hard time being atuned to those who wish to CROSS. Some pause to check oncoming traffic first, but other just throw themselves into a brisk walk. I drive this intersection twice, most days - sometimes more. It drives me crazy.

There, I said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment